When to Contact Us
Researchers should contact the Office of Export Compliance before engaging in any of the following activities, to ensure that export control regulations do not impact research:
- A proposal contains a subject or involves technologies listed on the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) Commerce Control List (CCL) and will not qualify as "fundamental research" due to access, participation, dissemination or publication restrictions,
- The research will involve chemicals, select agents, toxins,
- The research is related to nuclear, weaponry, missiles, unmanned vehicles, chemical or biological agents, or strong encryption or other technologies listed on the International Traffic in-Arms Regulations (ITAR) U.S. Munitions List (USML).
- The award does not qualify for the ”fundamental research exclusion” and involves technologies listed in the EAR Commerce Control List (CCL) or the ITAR U.S. Munitions List (USML) and you plan to use foreign national(s) in the research,
- The award is sponsored by the Department of Defense or NASA and contains contractual restrictions, regardless of foreign national involvement,
- The Sponsor has requested a secrecy agreements that will withhold or delay publishing,
- The Sponsor will provide identified export controlled items or information as part of the research.
- A person listed as a “restricted party,"
- Hosting foreign nationals from a sanctioned/embargoed country.
- Foreign nationals who are not bona fide employees of the university participating in activities relating to defense articles on the ITAR U.S. Munition List (USML) or projects subject to access or dissemination restrictions.
- Travel to a sanctioned/embargoed country for official university activities, including field work,
- Travel to any country with university equipment, select agents, or toxins (excluding laptops without export controlled research data or mass market software when carried to 35 favorable countries).
- Shipment of tangible items or research deliverables to an international location, even if being returned to the country of origin or sponsor.